What’s the Deal With Transition Eyeglass Lenses?
Regardless of the season and thus, the level of heat we Phoenicians find ourselves enduring, the Arizona sun takes a vicious on our eyesight all year round. Thankfully, Transition Eyeglass Lenses provide a great deal of relief for this very issue.
Transition eyeglass lenses adjust from clear indoors to dark outdoors, but it’s not just about light or dark; it’s about everything in between. No matter where you are or what situation you’re in, transition eyeglass lenses adapt to the perfect shade so you see with just the right amount of light.
Just how does transition lens technology work? Well, let’s discuss that now….
Transition Lens Technology
Transitions eyeglass lenses appear to change effortlessly, at least to our eyes. However, transition lens technology is actually quite complex. Transition lenses in eyeglasses contain special patented photochromic dyes. These dyes activate when they are exposed to ultraviolet rays from sunlight, which causes them to darken. Take away the ultraviolet rays by, let’s say by going indoors or even in a nice shade spot, and the lenses will fade back.
This is the gist of it for those of us who are not lens technologists! But seriously, the most important thing to know about transition lens technology is that the level of tinting is constantly adjusting with the light conditions they are placed in. Most importantly, UV radiation protection remains constant. This makes transition lenses in eyeglasses wholly superior, and transition lens technology one of the most important advances in eyewear since the eyeglass itself.
Transition Lenses in Eyeglasses
We field questions everyday about transition lenses in eyeglasses from patients who think they sound just a bit too good to be true. In order to help you decide whether or not transition lenses in eyeglasses are the right choice for you and your family, we want to share the answers to some of the most asked questions we receive here….
- Transition lenses reduce glare, although not as well as a pair of high quality polarized lenses. For this reason, it might be a good idea to still have a high quality pair of polarized lenses for extreme light conditions on open water and other places blue light is prevalent.
- Transition lenses block 100% of both UVA and UVB rays, which can contribute to macular degeneration, cataracts and other eye disorders or diseases.
- Transition lenses in eyeglasses enhance vision quality because the tint consistently adapts your optical ability to discern objects varying in size, contrast, color and brightness.
- Transition eyeglass lenses work very quickly, almost instantaneously to our eyesight.
- You can drive, work on the computer, in your garage, or any other place you would normally wear regular and/or sunglasses.
- Transition lenses are available in virtually every frame, style, size and prescription, including single-vision, bifocal, trifocal and progressive designs.
If you have any questions about these answers, or any questions we did not answer here, we welcome you to reach out to us directly and we are happy to answer them!
Transitions Signature Lenses®
Tatum EyeCare is pleased to offer our patients the highest quality Transitions® brand lenses. These come in two varieties: Transitions Signature Lenses and Transitions XtrActive Lenses. In our experience, Transitions Signature Lenses® are the among the most adaptive, responsive lenses ever made.
Transitions Signature Lenses use Chromea7™, which is a patented photo-chromatic technology that allows the lens to be more reactive to bright sun, partial sun and even indirect light that can reflect from vehicles, buildings and many other surfaces. Some other benefits of Transitions Signature Lenses include:
- Super fast fade and fade back speed
- Suitable for any age and almost any vision condition, including for children
- Help protect your eyes from harmful blue light both outdoors and indoors
Transitions XTRACTIVE Lenses®
Transitions XTRACTIVE Lenses® take the Signature Lens design and build on it in order to protect your eyes from both the harshest artificial light and damaging natural sunlight. For these reasons, Transitions XTRACTIVE Lenses are the perfect solution for driving in Arizona year round…. as well as spending time in any environment where unnatural indoor lighting causes eye fatigue, strain, headaches, etc. in addition the benefits these lenses share with Signature Lenses, some benefits of Transitions XTRACTIVE Lenses include:
- Darkening behind a car’s windshield to protect from sunlight when driving
- Extra dark tint engagement outdoors in extreme sunlight conditions
- Hint of tinting protects from harsh indoor lighting conditions
Transition Lens Color Options
There are three transition lens color options to choose from: Brown, Gray and Graphite Green. If you would like to check our transition lens color options out in person, we welcome you to visit our North Phoenix office to see our full variety of lenses.
The Best Optometrists in North Phoenix
When you choose Tatum EyeCare for you vision health and fashion needs, you are choosing optometrists in North Phoenix who are invested in our clients and community. We are happy to answer any other questions you have about retinal imaging, or to schedule your appointment with one of our optometrists today. We’ve proudly served the Valley of the Sun for over 20 years. Stop in to view our extensive collection or Transition Lenses, and see for yourself how Tatum EyeCare reframes customer service and optical expertise for everyone!